Sunday 27 July 2014

100 Years on...The story of my family in the Great War 1914-18

In the halcyon summer of 1914 the world stumbled inevitably, it seems now, towards a global conflict that would effect a whole generation. My hope, in this blog, over the next four years is to chronicle some of the stories and details of that human catastrophe as they effected my ancestors exactly 100 years before.

I can only claim to be a keen amateur family historian, so there may be mistakes or omissions as I go along, these are all honestly made and I would welcome advice, suggestions and any additional information that I haven't uncovered as yet. I'm sure there is plenty of information easily available on family history websites and maybe once I've retired after winning the lottery I will have the money to add to the family archives!

I hope my family, friends and long lost relatives which I'm slowly uncovering around the world through my family history research like this blog and find it interesting to them and if they wish to contribute their own WWI ancestor stories that would be very welcome.

My Grandfather - Arthur Hollins

Having spent many enjoyable years researching my ancestors I amazed how many must have been involved in WWI, many I have no service details for, but for that generation, it was rare for someone of active service age not to have been called to the colours in some way. So my research will continue and occasionally new information will come to light after the centenary of that event has passed. This blog is not intended to be a finished, polished academic study, but rather an organic and forever growing testimony to my family ancestors, so I hope you will forgive any chronological errors.

Sadly much of information that is easily obtainable concerns those that did not return home and I suppose we are all lucky that our direct ancestors did and that we are able to relate their stories.

This blog, rather than featuring stories of daring exploits and boys own capers is more about how ordinary young men left their family homes in Rugeley, Staffordshire, Wimbledon and Hackney for far flung fields of conflict, the horrors of which I cannot even begin to understand. I hope only to honour their memory in some small way and this blog over the next four years is my tribute to my family ancestors in the 1914-18 First World War.

Tony




No comments:

Post a Comment